Sunday, January 31, 2016

Less of Me

Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa and Happy New Year!!!!! It's been a minute since my last post; almost three most to be exact. So much for posting more often. Don't get me wrong, I have been writing, almost daily, just not here. The only reason I am posting today is because I am at work bored. Yep, working on a Sunday. The things you do when you work with the Affordable Care Act and the last day of open enrollment falls on a Sunday.

This week has been busy. Hell, this month has been busy. I can't believe that January will be finished in a few hours. This month has had it's highs and lows. The lows included my motger having not one, but two surgeries, me interviewing for and subsequently not getting a job that i wanted so much and that damn blizzard. Local forecasters predicted 6-12 inches and we got 27.7! Fortunately, I shoveled every 8 hours and when it was over I was able to openmy door and walk out of my house with no problems. Can't say the same for my neighbors. The highs, or should zisay high, was me reaching a milestone in my weight loss journey.

I don't speak about it often, mostly due to a combination of pride and shame, but for most of my adult life, I have weighed over 300 pounds. There were some moments within the ladt few years that I was closer to 400 pounds than 300.Those who I told what I weighed never bebelieved me, so I kept owning whatever weight they thought i actually was. I guess, being 6'7" helped make those lies believable. Little did they know, although I smiled on the outside,the truth was eating me up on the inside. Early into 2015, I had balloned to 362 pounds (a number that I have only told 1 person walking the face of this earth). That was the straw that broke the camels back. I thought to myself, I don't know any overweight old people and with me being closer to 40 than 30, it was time to do something about it for real.

I was a few months away from a birthday trip to the Dominican Republic and with that as motivation, I was quickly able to lose 25 pounds. No biggie. I did the same thing before when I went to Jamaica the year before. Sadly, with no motivation, or carrot in front of me, most of the weight came back on and with it brought a major case of depression. I went from 362 to 337 on Memorial Day then back up to 353 by Labor Day. Enough was enough! I needed to make a change and I did. Inspired by many, some directly and some indirectly, I got off my ass and made some changes. I became more concious about what I did and did not put in my mouth (no soda or candy bars since November. The last Kit Kat I brought still sits in my fridge as a reminder), got more physical, hit the gym hard and the weight started dropping. As far as I am concerned, there will be no yo-yo this time. When I lose the weight now, I don't want to find it again.

I went and got on a scale yesterday and saw a number I have never seen in my 30s. I have only seen it one time in my20s. Yesterday, I weighed in at 298. That number might not seem major to you, but you try spending the last 20 years of your life weighing over 300 pounds. 298 is major to me, but it's not my last stop. My goal this year is to lose 60 pounds, 5 pounds a month. I have lost 9 this month so I am feeling pretty damn good right now. So good thatI finally feel good sharing this news with people outside of my most intimate circle. If you have any tips that can help, or just simple words of encouragement or motivation, feel free to leave them in the commebts section. I would appreciate it.

No comments: